3.14.2010

Erin Go Bragh

Now that I am part of an Irish family, I felt it was time to embrace St. Patrick's Day- or at least the cuisine. This Wednesday I will prepare my first corned beef and cabbage meal. With help from Justin the beef is already pickling in the fridge! Stay tuned for the finale on Wednesday but here is what we have prepared so far.

Beef Brine

You will need:
6 tablespoons pickling spice*
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup kosher salt
4 sprigs of thyme
2 bay leaves
2 1/2-3 pounds beef brisket (may need to cut in half)

*I found pickling spice at the Dekalb Farmer's Market. You could make your own with 1.5 tablespoons each of whole coriander, mustard seeds, peppercorns, allspice.


Combine all ingredients except beef in bowl
Add brisket and rub mixture into meat
Place rubbed beef in a plastic bag, pressing more brine mixture into the beef
Pour in water until meat is submerged
Refrigerate for one to ten days, mine will be brining for 4 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment