11.14.2009

Pre-Thanksgiving Thank You Bread

Thanksgiving menu planning inspired to make a few loaves of my moms pumpkin bread. Only problem was that I was lazy and didn't feel like a visit to the grocery. This turned into an opportunity to tweak my moms recipe and use the can of sweet potato I already had instead of pumpkin and brown sugar for a missing 1/2 cup of granulated sugar. The result was a loaf worth gifting!


Pumpkin or Sweet Potato Bread

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Beat in an electric mixer:
4 eggs

Mix in:
1 cup oil (veggie or canola)
1 tsp vanilla
1 can pumpkin or sweet potato puree

Mix in a separate bowl:
3 cups sugar *
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp salt

Add sugar/flour mixture to pumpkin mixture
Mix well but don't over-mix
Grease and flour two loaf pans generously
Bake for 50 minutes
Cool then.....
Package in parchment, tie with bakers twine, gift to a friend!

* I only had 2-1/2 cups of granulated sugar and substituted the last 1/2 with light brown sugar. I worked great and I may even like it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment